How to report a death to Service Canada to disactivate the SIN

When someone passes away in a Canadian province, the provincial vital statistics agency automatically notifies the SIN Program, therefore you do not have to do so.

If the death occurs in a territory or outside Canada, you must inform the SIN Program.

To report a death, make sure to provide the deceased’s SIN and proof of death. This may include a statement of death from the funeral director or a copy of the death certificate.

You may submit the documents by mail or in person to a Service Canada Centre.

Informing the SIN Program of the death reduces the risk of someone else using the SIN fraudulently. You can still use the SIN for estate purposes.

How to notify other federal programs and/or departments of a death

To obtain the information, please visit website Notify the federal government of a death.

Are you interested in getting Cash Back at! It’s an awesome site that gives you Cash Back when you shop online. With over 750 stores, including various Giftcards from Canadian companies,,,, Canadian Tire, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Sephora, you get paid to shop for things you’re already buying!

Try Now! Sign Up Now through our exclusive referral link and you will receive $30 instant cash back in your account!


Sign up for a Rakuten account and start earning cash back! Special 10% cash back from major brands!

Detail Steps:

  1. Sign Up with our special referral link.
  2. Make sure to access the merchant’s website using the website link from If you access the mercant’s website directly, you will not receive your cash back.
  3. Make a $30 purchase before tax and you will receive your $30 cash back.
  4. Receive your $30 cash back in your account!

Sign up through our exclusive referral link and you will receive $30 instant cash back!

Sign Up Now!